Learn about Active Learning and its researcher-proven effectiveness. This workshop will introduce you to six popular active learning strategies that you can implement right now in your own course. And as work to convert your quarter courses into semester courses, think about how active learning can be incorporated into your sessions.
- Bonwell, C., & Eison, J. (1991). Active learning: Creating excitement in the classroom (ASHE-ERIC higher education report ; 1991, no. 1). Washington, D.C.: School of Education and Human Development, George Washington University.
- Chasteen, S. (2017, June 20). How do I help students engage productively in active learning classrooms? Message posted to https://www.physport.org/recommendations
- Felder, R., & Brent, R. (2016). Teaching and Learning STEM: A Practical Guide. Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons, Incorporated.
- Flaherty, C. (2017, June 27) Smarter Approach to Teaching Science. Retrieved from https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/06/27/carl-wieman-makes-evidence-based-plea-better-science-instruction-new-book
- Wieman, C. (2017) Improving How Universities Teach Science: Lessons from the Science Education Initiative. Cambridge, Massachusetts : Harvard University Press