Prepare: Initial Course Assets
No course exists in a vacuum. Your course is situated within a particular department, curriculum, and program. Your course may have a history based on past instructors’ treatment of the course. We recommend gathering the following existing course assets:
- Department/program objectives
- Official course description from the University Catalog
- Existing materials from previous versions of the course, if available.
- Expanded Course Outlines (ECO): Get ECOs from your department. ECOs should contain existing course learning prerequisites, expected outcomes, suggested materials, instructional methods, and assessments. If the current ECO requires updating, consult your department.
- Make notes about anything you know about the course, such as its place in the curriculum and the characteristics of students who usually take it.