Content Delivery: Blackboard
Blackboard is Cal Poly Pomona’s Learning Management System (LMS). Blackboard helps students to stay connected with their instructors and classmates. Blackboard can be used to supplement a traditional class, to support a hybrid or blended course, or as the main delivery structure for an online or distance education course. Blackboard has many features and customization opportunities.
Blackboard’s tools can be categorized based on function:
- Delivery - Delivery tools allow instructors to post materials so students can easily access them. Blackboard provides multiple means to organize content as well, much as files can be organized on a desktop or laptop using folders.
- Assessment - Assessment tools provide instructors with the means to assess their students' learning progress. The most popular assessment tools include online testing and assignment collection, though Blackboard offers various other types of assessments.
- Communication - Blackboard offers several communication tools to facilitate synchronous and asynchronous discussions. These tools can be used for Instructor-Student or Student-Student interaction. Blackboard's Discussion Board is one of the most commonly used tools for Student-Student interaction.
- Management - Blackboard's roster and Grade Center tools allow easy management of students and grades. Instructors can post private grades to students through Blackboard.
How to Get It
All Cal Poly Pomona faculty, staff, and students with a Cal Poly Pomona BroncoName and password are granted Blackboard accounts. The username and password are the same used to log into BroncoDirect and CPP email.
Blackboard course shells are automatically created for instructors. For more information, please visit CAFE's Blackboard Support.
Log into Blackboard using your BroncoName and password.
- Blackboard Tutorials (CPP eHelp)
- Blackboard Official Instructor Tutorials (Blackboard Help)
- Blackboard Essential Training (LinkedIn Learning)*
*Please review the LinkedIn Learning eHelp page for directions to log in using your Cal Poly Pomona credentials.
Blackboard Quality Matters (QM) Template
Quality Matters (QM) is a systematic methodology for faculty to ensure that online, hybrid, and technology-enhanced face-to-face courses are designed to support student success. The QM rubric provides a consistent framework for in-depth, collegial, formative (non-evaluative) review of courses. For more information about QM, visit CSU's Course Redesign with Technology page.
As part of Cal Poly Pomona's efforts to promote QM, a Blackboard course template was developed for faculty use. For more information and to apply the Blackboard QM Course Template to your own course, please visit our Blackboard QM Course Template page.